-A A +A A A accessible

Travel Insurance is mandatory for travelling to Germany. You may get your travel insurance from any authorized insurance company or click here to get it now

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

  • My Schengen visa has been issued by the German Embassy, could I use this visa to make a sidetrip to other European countries (for example to France or Austria)?

    Yes, you can. According to the Schengen agreement, visas are also valid for Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

    Please note, however, that you always have to apply at the consulate of the country which is your primary destination.

    If you intend to visit several of the above-mentioned countries but do not have a primary destination, you should apply at the consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.

  • I have already made a trip to Germany with a visa (“Schengener Staaten” is mentioned on the visa sticker) issued by the German Consulate. I think the visa is still valid and I am planning now a business trip to Italy for example. Can I use this visa?

    Yes, you can. Please check your visa's validity, its number of entries and the maximum duration of stay (both are mentioned on your visa sticker) carefully.

  • My flight itinerary requires an overnight stay at a German airport. Do I have to apply for an airport transit visa or a regular visa?

    Airport transit visa are only good for short stopovers while you are waiting a few hours for your onward flight in the airport's international transit area. However, hotel accommodation is only available outside the transit area. Please apply for a regular tourist visa if you want to stay at the airport overnight.

  • My flight itinerary requires airport transit in Germany, however I do not have a confirmed onward flight (e.g. Buddy Pass) from Germany. Do I have to apply for an airport transit visa or a regular visa?

    If you do not have a confirmed onward flight from Germany you have to apply for a regular tourist visa.

  • I am planning to apply for a visa at the BLS Visa Application Centre, how long should my passport be valid?

    Your passport should be valid for at least 3 months upon conclusion of your trip.

  • This website tells me that I have to show my bank statement when applying for a Schengen visa. I do not have a bank account / my balance is low and the trip will be paid by my friends/relatives in Germany. What do I have to submit?

    Ask your friends/relatives to sign an official affidavit of support (called “Verpflichtungserklärung” in German).

  • How can my friends/relatives in Germany get an official affidavit of support (so-called “Verpflichtungserklärung”)?

    Your friends can get this document at the local Aliens' office at their place of residence in Germany. Please bring the original of this affidavit when applying for your visa.

  • I want to visit my friends/relatives. My own funds are sufficient so I am paying for the trip myself. What kind of invitation should I submit?

    Just ask your friends/relatives to send you an informal invitation. Name, address and a copy of the friend's/relative's passport. A copy of the residence permit is an additional requirement if your friend/relative in Germany is not a German national. If your friends/relatives pay for your travel expenses you will need to submit an official affidavit of support.

  • I have my own business and therefore cannot bring an employment letter. What documents should I submit?

    Please include your business registration, your tax returns and your latest bank statement to complete your Application.

  • Why am I required to have a health insurance coverage for Germany?

    Imagine you have an accident during your stay in Germany. Please check carefully whether your medical insurance will also cover costs for medical treatment abroad. If yours does not, you need to submit a health insurance covering your stay in Europe when applying for the visa.

    In general all major US medical insurance companies cover costs for emergency medical treatment abroad.

  • My Mexican Resident Alien Card has expired and has to be renewed/extended. How can I apply for a visa to Germany?

    We can only accept applicants holding a vaild Mexican Resident Alien Card. If yours has expired, please contact the SRE first for renewal/Extension.

    National Inmigration Institute

  • What is an apostille good for and where can I get one?

    Documents must always be provided with an apostille (this does not apply to documents issued by any German civil registry office). Make sure the apostille is placed on the original document (and not on the copies). The apostille is placed by the authority/or body that originally issued the document. You can find additional information here.

  • My spouse is a German national. We both plan to establish a joint residence in Germany. Do I get a German work permit immediately after we move to Germany?

    Yes, you do. The residence permit will be issued by the Aliens' Office after your arrival in Germany. It will include a permit to work.

  • I have heard that Germany has a shortage of IT specialists. I am an IT-expert and would be interested to work in Germany. How can I find an employer and how can I apply for a residence and work Permit?

    The Federal Employment Agency has set up an online job fair where you can introduce yourself and present your curriculum vitae. Companies also post job openings in this online fair. Of course, you may also apply directly to a company in Germany. As soon as you have a written formal notice that a work permit will be issued, you can apply for an entrance visa at the German Embassy or Consulate which has jurisdiction for your place of residence.

  • My MEX employer is sending me to work in Germany for a few years in its office. May my wife and children accompany me?

    Yes, in general they may. Aliens eligible to obtain a residence and work permit may be accompanied by members of their family. Please submit your marriage certificate and your children's birth certificates when applying for their residence Permit.

  • I am a legal resident in Mexico and would like to work in Germany for a few years. However, I do not have any contact with an employer in Germany yet. How can I apply for a residence and work Permit?

    First things first: It is essential to find an employer in Germany who is willing to make you a job offer. Once you got a job offer, please apply for a residence and work Permit.

  • We want our child under the age of 18 to travel to Germany. How do we apply for a visa?

    Please apply for a regular visa to visit friends/relatives in Germany or a regular tourist visa. A birth certificate of your child is an additional requirement. Children under 18 are considered minors by EU law. Therefore, the visa application needs to be signed by the persons exercising permanent or temporary parental authority or legal guardianship - usually both parents. Please make sure that you include a family court order if only one parent has full custody. The application form has to be signed by the legal guardian(s) during the visa interview. Alternatively, their signature can be certified by a notary public.

  • I am a visitor in Mexico with a FMM Tourist Card and would like to spend two weeks in Germany after my trip to Mexico. Where do I apply for a visa?

    We can only accept visa applicants of legal resident cards in Mexico. If you are only visiting you need to apply at the German Embassy or Consulate in your home Country.

  • How long will I have to wait for my visa?

    The processing time for visa applications may take from 6 to 8 weeks.

    Please Note: Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we cannot accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained herein.

  • How can I file a complaint about the conduct of the consular staff or the visa application process?

    Applicants for a Schengen visa may submit a complaint regarding the conduct of the consular staff or the application process, by using the contact form on our website.

    In the drop down menu of the contact form, please choose the option “Complaints regarding the Schengen visa application process in …”. Please note that complaints can only be submitted in German or English. Complaints in a different language cannot be investigated.

    You may enter one of the two following options in the subject line:

    1. Complaint about the conduct of the consular staff
    2. Complaint about the process of the visa Application

    We will investigate your complaint.

    Important note:  Visa applicants cannot use the contact form to file an appeal (“Remonstration”) against decisions made in terms of refusal, annulment or cancelation of a visa.

  • Your Visa Application has been denied?

    The visa applicant can file a written objection, that is, file a claim against the notification of denial of your visa application. The appeal for replacement must be written in German, or, if it is written in Spanish, a corresponding translation into German must be delivered. The Embassy will review your visa application again and, if necessary, will involve the relevant German authorities in the process. Please take into account that the processing of an appeal for replacement may take several months. For information, consult the following fact sheet: Has your visa application been rejected?

  • What is the validity of my Visa?

    The national visa is only valid for Germany, however, it allows a stay of up to 90 days for every six months in the rest of the Schengen countries, as long as you are not going to carry out a paid activity in those countries.

    The national visa has an initial validity of three to six months. Depending on the reason for your stay, the competent immigration office in Germany will proceed to grant you a long-term residence permit. If a stay of up to a year is planned, e.g. for a student exchange year or a staff exchange year, then a visa may be granted for the entire period of your intended stay (exception: au-pair).

    Mexican citizens can also enter before the visa validity period begins. Visa-free stay is possible for a maximum of 90 days within a 180-day period.

  • I need a modification in my Visa, how can I proceed?

    The visa is valid for the period of time for which it was granted. A flexible postponement of the effective dates of your visa is not possible. If you have to postpone your travel, then you will need to apply for a new visa for the new travel period, as long as the validity of your current visa does not cover the entire new travel period. You will have to pay the fees again for the processing of a new visa.

  • What is the procedure to obtain an extension of the visa or stay?

    The Schengen visa cannot be extended. You must leave the Schengen area no later than the last day of validity of your visa. Mexican citizens can leave the Schengen area for a non-Schengen state and then immediately return to Germany as a tourist without a visa for a maximum of 90 days, but paid activities are not allowed. Please note that within a 180-day period you can stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days without a visa.

  • Motivation Letter/Invitation Letter

    The motivation letter is a letter written by you, in which you explain why you are taking a language course in Germany, for example. Try not to resort to generalized formulas, but state your personal reasons concretely. There is no specific format for an invitation letter. It must be written and signed by your guest in Germany. It must contain at least the contact details in Germany and the reasons for the invitation.

  • The appointment will be personal for each applicant.

    Keep in mind that, when applying for a visa, the collection of biometric data (fingerprinting) is essential, so applicants are required to go personally to the Embassy in a timely manner. Biometric data is recorded for applicants from the age of 12. If you are applying for a national visa for a child under 12 years of age, you must present the child at the BLS application centre when you go to your appointment.

    The questions that are asked during your appointment as well as the documents that you present will serve to resolve your application correctly. Generally, to accept a visa application, only the documents mentioned in the information sheets are required. However, it is possible that in certain cases more documents are required, as well as their respective (certified) translations into German. Only emails that include the application number will be processed at the time of delivering additional documents. It is also possible that later the authorities in Germany require more information or that you have to go to the BLS application centre a second time. In these cases, we will inform you about it by phone or email.

  • What is a Blocked account (Sperrkonto)?

    In some cases it may be necessary to open a blocked account (Sperrkonto) with a German bank to support your stay in Germany. To find out if you need a blocked account, see the fact sheets for each type of visa.

    With a blocked account, you can verify that you have sufficient financial resources for your visa process. The "Financing" fact sheet contains important information on this aspect; Please read the fact sheet carefully before applying for your visa appointment.

    If you require more detailed information, consult the catalog of questions from the Embassy’s website.

  • How many more days can you stay in Schengen after usage of previous visas?

    Please check the number of days you can stay in the Schengen area after usage of previous visas to ensure you do not over stay, kindly use this calculator provided by European Commission: https://ec.europa.eu/assets/home/visa-calculator/calculator.htm?lang=en